William Bowerman is a 29 year old musical director, programmer and session drummer residing in North London.
William has worked with a number of platinum selling artists as a Musical Director overseeing all aspects of their live performances including designing full live band concerts, vocal to track performances, acoustic and cover arrangements, body language and crowd interaction with band and artist.
With over 11 years experience working professionally in the music industry, William has been around the world many times touring as a session musician, including 9 festival seasons and 50+ live television and radio broadcasts around the world.
Technology is an important part of pop music and William prides himself on his knowledge of electronic music and equipment being very well versed in Ableton, Logic, MainStage and Q Lab DAWs as well as being able to program hardware synthesisers, drum machines and build bulletproof playback systems to be used anywhere from small clubs to stadiums.
Current and recent projects include Dua Lipa, La Roux, Klangkarussell, Mikky Ekko, Peace and Marina and The Diamonds.
William is endorsed by Yamaha Drums, Paiste Cymbals, Vic Firth Drum Sticks and is an Ableton Live artist.
William became a musical director in 2013 on the live return of La Roux, recruiting a new band and reworking the show to match the new sound. Alongside this, William built a show for Klangkarussell. At the end of La Roux' second album campaign, William started directing Dua Lipa's live show including TV/Radio performances with Martin Garrix, Miguel and Sean Paul.
Every live show is approached differently. It is made sure that there is a communication with the artist, management and all other parties involved every step of the way to make sure the final outcome is one that everyone is happy with. The overall goal is to produce stimulating live versions of the recorded songs making sure to keep the aesthetic and feeling of the original songs in tact.
With over 11 years professional touring experience as a session drummer, William knows what works and doesn't work on stage and knows how important it is to have people around you that you feel comfortable with. When it comes to putting a band of session musicians for an artist, all factors are taken into account to ensure that a long, happy and healthy relationship will be formed and therefor, a great show.
This service includes -
- Taking the original recordings and arranging them for a live situation.
- Finding and auditioning suitable session musicians to fit the spec of the artist and management.
- Rehearsing the session band to be show ready even before the artist enters the room if preferred.
- Invoices and negotiations between management and session musicians.
- Designing, budgeting and building reliable and stable live equipment set ups for use in clubs to stadiums.
- Talking with record producers and record labels to source, manage and arrange stems.
- Programming backing tracks, keyboards, samplers etc to get replicated sounds that match that of the original.
- Creating set lists for any situation and any size of show.
- Working with a front of house engineer to make sure the show sounds how it should from the audience.
- Fully produced covers, remixes and other one off tracks that may be needed for TV or Radio sessions.
- Live performance coaching for singers including microphone technique, stage moves and crowd interaction.
In 2017, regardless of the genre of music, computers are almost always used in the live show whether it be for backing tracks, keyboard rigs or to run timecode for visuals onstage.
William has programmed shows for club shows to arena and stadium tours.
- Designing, building and programming keyboard rigs, playback systems and hybrid drum kits
- Reproducing signature keyboard patches, drum sounds and effects to be played live
- Changing arrangements to spec (for example a 2 minute edit for a TV broadcast)
- Working closely with other MDs and FOH engineers to achieve exactly what they want
For more information, please contact
Here is a selection of William's recent MD and performance work from the last 3 years.